Tuesday, July 29, 2008

TTC Bus drivers

I wonder what I'd be like if I was a TTC driver. Probably just like every other TTC driver out there, picking up people and dropping off people. Pushing my way into traffic and ignoring stop signs because I'm about 4 times larger than your average car. Driving day after day, because that's my job...growl at TTC riders and wish that they'd be more considerate or more intellegent. Counting down to the time I can park my bus and (haha) TTC back home.

A few weeks back, I encounted this bus driver on the Bayview bus. He smiled at people when they go onto the bus (okay that's not TOO wierd. I've seen other drivers do that)...but as the bus driving, he would start talking. He'd make random comments about the name of the streets he's passing and make fun of the PA system announcements. He'd make conversation with the people that responds and crack random (although rather corny) jokes. I saw him for a few days, then he stopped appearing. Different routes perhaps. But anyways, I saw him again today.

Today, there was no traffic between Lawrence and York Mills (egads! the impossible has happened!) and so we reached Bayview Station ahead of schedule. So the bus driver waited till its time to go. There wasn't much people on the bus; the whole time as we wait, he was randomly chatting to the people on the bus. Making the bus ride just a bit more enjoyable.

What I had wanted to do from when I first encounted him was to encourage him in his work. I mean, how much other bus drivers would try to talk to the people on his bus, try to make the otherwise bland time more enjoyable? Yet, without the right words, I never really say anything. Another stop, some lady gets off, after thanking the driver for the entertainment that he was providing. A few stops later, I got off, mumbling my typical thanks. I excused myself for not saying anything by telling myself that the bus driver's still got it. He's still cracking all his jokes. He's still strong. He doesn't need encouragement.

Haha.
1. Fear of saying the wrong thing often gets to us saying nothing. Time and time again, I tell myself I'll never see the dude again. No need to hold back. But I do. What's there to be scared of? I have no idea. But scared I am. I was reading about the guy that Bily saw and then the stuff that Bily himself did. I remembered that at some point in the term, I felt an urge to talk to random people on the bus. You know. The dude that's sitting beside you, just staring blankly into space. I go to work everyday. 20 days a month. 40 bus rides. There's four month. 80 bus rides. I've initated some form of dialog 4 times. Two started cuz I saw someone staring at the Bayview N bus schedule (which is utter lies...it's never on time -_-) and told them so. Two other times was on the bus, with random high school kids who were volunteering at Sunnybrook (does volunteering at a hosptial really help your med school chances? seriously? I worked at 2 hosptials already...doesn't that mean my chances should be sky high? haha).

Okay. Maybe I can excuse myself again by saying that I was only convincted into talking to two of them (the two volunteers), and that's enough. Before I could finish telling myself that sentence though...I found that I've already cut myself off. I'm only lying to myself with that. God pokes at me and all I do is slam the door in His face. I need conversation starters -_- no excuses. Seriously.

2. Assumption that "strong" people don't need encouragement is just a lie we're told. Everyone needs to be encouraged. Ask anyone serving. Ask any parents. Ask any public service person. People need the affirmation that they exist, and what they do is important, even if it is mundane.

3. "Work's work" ... I've said that many times. So has many people around me. Even on the CCF work email chain...most of the time, the topic we're talking about is how crappy work is. No, I'm no better. But I was wondering how different the TTC would look if everyone was like that bus driver...attitude change? Back at my first work term, I lost points on my work term evaluation because I was told I didn't show enough enthusiasm. I protested that documention was totally boring and no one would be enthusiastic about doing that...but my boss didn't budge. It confused me then why she would say something like that...work is just work. I got my stuff done. We don't even work in the same room, how would my attitude affect her at all? I think I understand this point a little better now.

So what's so special about that bus driver that prompted this entry? Nothing. He's just some normal guy. Doing his job. Doing a bit more than he's ask to. I noticed because it's so different than the typical dullness that's on the bus. He's got a bit more courage than I've got. And that's making alot of difference.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's nothing to lose to talk to a random person- they don't know you, can't judge you based on past experiences so that ONE conversation you have with them can start anywhere! think of the possibilities!

maybe it's just me, but i don't know why we make talking to people out to be so scary. maybe in N America, there's this total lack of warmth and friendliness in public (maybe too many sketchy ppl?). if you were in south america or other parts of the world, it's standard to say good morning to people who very well maybe strangers on the street. it's this sense of greater community that plays into that kind of attitude.

Anonymous said...

It's tough sometimes to reach out of one's comfort zone to talk to a stranger, but I think you're slowly becoming more and more open now, Jon. A little more courage, and it'll happen! =D

Maybe you could begin by practicing in Europe XD...they very friendly and open over there (except maybe the UK?)