Thursday, August 06, 2009

Re: God can make use of...

I originally was just going to comment on Victor's latest entry, found here. But I kind of got long winded so I decided to just post it here

---

This search for faith is a long-standing one. I've been told many times that it's to be satisfied with the outcome of any given event. That, of course, leads to the question of complacency. How do you know what to fight, and when to fight it?

What is faith? It's trusting that we're equipped to handle the situations we're placed in (even though that EM exam Friday looks mighty scary right now). That even if research sucks, that I'll learn something useful from grad school. That I'd be okay without knowing the big picture.

I suppose this is common knowledge. And these are familiar stories. Praying for growth is something I've hesitated on doing...because I've seen God break other people down. No one wants to face their own brokenness.

A warning against complacency...a big deal to me right now, I guess, because of what I noted about complacency earlier this month:
So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And god is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. - 1 Corinthians 10.12-13
I've noticed that growth, challenge, motivation and facing our weaknesses are a common theme of some of my fellow CCF bloggers these days. It's a good thing. These are things you cannot do without faith.
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. "Make level paths for your feet,"so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed. - Hebrews 12.7-13
I'm trying to learn to listen better...it's difficult to demands the rights and respect of an adult when one is still a child inside. Right now, He takes my hand and leads me. But there must come a time when He calls, and I answer, stepping out instead of being pushed by someone else.

No comments: