Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Reiteration

(There is like, 3-4 posts sitting on the backburner...I just need to find the time to pump them all out -_-)

I think about the mistakes I make sometimes, over the last 22 years (yes, I will count on the time I threw up on my grandma when I was little)...many of these were little things. These are things that I note and laugh about when I look back, like using strawberry milk for KD or when my car got towed from the [Calgary] Culture Centre parking lot because the licence plate expired. Some are a bit more serious, but thankfully wasn't...like that time I set the toaster oven on fire. Or got a concussion during hockey practice because I wasn't careful (or maybe I just suck at hockey...). Some are the really big things, and I wonder how I can make up for it. Like when I neglected friends and family. People I said are important to me. When I'm not there when I said I'd be.

One thing that I almost take for granted at times is the sheer amounts of second+ chances I get. From my friends (particularly the Calgarians reading this...=P) that I don't talk to much. From work (never experiment with the production database). From school (fail the midterm, ace the final. Sounds familiar?). From God (this list will run far too long).

What is the point of a second chance? Is it that my mistake was insignificant? My friends forgives me for ditching. We repaired that production database. I passed all my courses. Christ still died for me. The thing about forgiveness is...that although I got off for free, someone else didn't. Someone had to pay for my mistakes. Example? My (hypothetical) car gets T-boned. I can forgive the other driver for totaling my car, but I still have to pay for the repairs, at the end of the day.

Forgiveness. Mercy. Grace. These are big concepts that are really hard to understand, and even harder to explain. It is exactly because we don't deserve it that makes it such a big deal. It's hard to give, and hard to receive. It is in us, willing to set the big (and little) things aside, that we're able to learn and grow. I've hurt and been hurted. I forgave and been forgiven. You'd need to go through it to understand. It's a lesson that you learn and relearn again.

But that's what's so amazing about grace. Thank you.

1 comment:

Jorge said...

Indeed grace and forgiveness are key in our faith.

I like this verse,

"Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, tolerance, and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads you toward repentance?" Romans 2:4

Indeed, we live by His grace so that we can strive to do good.