Saturday, May 22, 2010

Encountering mormons

Over a span of two weeks, a few of us met with Mormon missionaries. That was an interesting experience.

Crash course on Mormonism
So Mormons are a group of self-proclaimed Christians who claims the Bible is not complete and that they have additional materials that "completes" the Bible. Research into the Book of Mormon has shown that their book do not agree with the Bible, thus most Protestants don't recognize Mormonism as a branch of Christianity.

Previous encounters
I'm guessing most people have had some form of Mormon encounter. I remember meeting them first on the road to school, in high school. They gave me a pamphlet, which I ended up using as a bookmark in a textbook. Hopefully the next person that got the textbook didn't actually follow up on that. Haa...I didn't know anything about them, but didn't think too much about it.

Next encounter occurred in Waterloo in first year, where they tried to convince me to go to their church. Given the things I've heard about this group, I ducked out, and turned down any of their attempt to meet up further. I didn't know my theology enough. It would've been a bad idea.

Latest encounter
Now, in fifth year, I was still a bit weary. However...
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
- 1 Peter 3.15b-16

So I went along. After thinking, reading, listening and praying. I went along. And they sound very similar to what I would've said, if someone asked me about what I believed in. I realize now why Jesus sent His 72 in pairs of two. Because it would've been too easy for one person to stray...

But differences between what we believed in and what they believed in ultimately arose. We shared our perspectives. They shared theirs. When it became evident that we wouldn't budge from our beliefs, they stopped calling to arrange for meetings.  But it sounded very similar to what we believed in.

Some questions I walked away with
Whenever one's belief system clashes with someone else's...questions will inevitably come up.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.
- James 1.2-3
These trials and testing of faith includes clashes with the faiths of other people. The questions that I am forced to struggle with...
  • How do I know that the Bible that I believe in is true?
  • Why is salvation by works so attractive?
  • Do I need to be able to explain everything in the Bible? Is everything suppose to make logical sense?
  • How well can I explain my faith? And how important is it?
I'll follow up on these questions on a later post. Also, one of my friends who was with me, his thoughts are documented here

    2 comments:

    Mark Tse said...

    Special shout-out to my favourite verse in Ecclesiastes =P

    Wes said...

    You know, I momentarily thought the title of this post was actually "Encountering morons" until I took a closer look at the second word. =P