Saturday, November 11, 2006

Random reflections

You said "Ask for the nations and it will be given to you." We've asked. And now...how do we do this? Every person is here for a reason and for a season. We're only holding a piece of the puzzle. Patience. Patience that He will guide us to the right people, give us the right words, determine the right time.


"[Jesus] also told them this parable: "Can a blind man lead a blind man? Will they not both fall into a pit? A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher."" - Luke 6.39-41

I'm reminded over and over again. Passing on the torch. It's always like that. We're all only here for a handful of years. We only can do so much. And because of that, we gotta do what we can. I got a chance to share with a fellow CCFer my experiences in 1B, and that served to remind me a bit about stuff...
I often fall back to my puzzle piece analogy. We hold but one piece, after all. We often don't know the impact of our actions. Just thinking at my own 1B term...people like Eric, Lue, Herman, Alex, Auntie, Karen...and Johnny, Mike, Jane...perhaps to them, it was opening their house to a frosh. Or insisting that prayer meetings are important. Or handing down old labs and notes. Or a few simple words of encouragement. A few lessons in how to run AV. A few random meals. Words of wisdom.

And through all that, I think two things really touched me. One was the ability to stick with these grad students...well...grads now...and see what they're really like. Not the fancy "I am old, wise and mature" facade that we as froshes attach automatically to them, but to see them as one of us...to be able to relate to them (sometimes I wonder if it was a good thing that I've inherited Karen's bitterness about ECE already or not...). To be able see hey, they're not that scary after all...

I've spent some time trying to piece together what 1B was like to me. I find it hard to believe that I went from a single frosh, lost in the sea of faces, to ... well. Where I stand (sit, rather. Tired from hockey. lol). Was it Winter Retreat, that I was convinced to go at the last minute? Was it Lifesong promotions and AV? Was it Grad Video? I dunno...each of these events were pivotial...but in talking to people...if these events were that piviotal, then my participation and growth from it was due to a simple reason...

I got prayed for.

No seriously. In regards to Retreat: "She asked me to pray for this frosh. I didn't know who he was, but I did anyway."
In regards to Lifesong AV: "If you really care for a frosh, pray for him."
In regards to Grad Video: Well. The only real thing I can say that He can use any given event to cause waves...oh wait. I do have a quote: "Froshes don't have minds of their own." Hahaha...

So I was guided here, dispite the posibility of not making it in. I suffered when I did not have a proper support network in 1A. I was prayed for and got integrated in 1B.

I didn't eat any healther (in fact, V1 food meant I gained 8 pounds -_-)...or did better at school (still got owned by CRTs. grrr...)...I went to CCF towards the end of 1A...so that didn't really change either.

Prayer. It had to be the prayer. And if a handful of prayer managed to integrate me into CCF...well. That's pretty impressive, I'd say.


"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." - Philippians 4.8-9

I think, that's what every grad ulitmately wishes to say before leaving. "If I have been good, and an example to follow, please do." I think I wrote about this a while ago, but it just popped into mind, so I'll include it again. We only have so long here. What to do...what to do...what to do? Be an example. Lead by walking, and not by talking. We might just get somewhere yet.

Alright. As annoyance towards recent stuff...getting owned by froshes already...oyy...
"Now, all you need is strawberry milk..." - Ken Woo, Frosh
"Triple A beef man..." - Allison Wong, Frosh

No comments: