Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Good guys are winning

Facing the HSci cafe is this large banner. On it is this green-tinted picture...apparently it's a scan of a cancer tumour cluster and branch off. This was caption on it:

This is a war photo. The good guys are winning.

I laughed. Not really wanting to get started at work yet, I flipped through a few Wikipedia articles...by popular vote, Terry Fox is quoted to be the second Greatest Canadian. Insulin is quoted to be the Greatest Canadian Invention. Cobolt-60 cancer treatment method was 11th (has no idea it was Canadian)...amusingly, poutine was 10th.

The other day, we had a doctor from the pediatrics ward come in to watch some demos being presented in our lab. He mentioned how our work would be handy in the Children's Hospital, since it's so hard to diagnose conditions sometimes...I was rather surprised to hear that kids can get aneurysms...or strokes (currently working on a project for a stroke doctor)...

There are two mangas I quite like, except they don't come out all that often...Team Medical Dragon and Godhand Teru. Maybe cuz they show doctors pull off the impossible and drag a doomed patient back to life. Too cool.

I think, coming to realize that the works I'm doing may indeed, in the larger picture, help a doctor analyze a patient easier...makes it easier to handle some of the more mindless work I'm asked to handle...after hearing numerous stories of people being lost to cancer...and now infant stroke cases...I dunno. I had a few people ask me how work has been...I've typically been complaining about the same thing...that work is long and tedious. That there is alot of work to do. That I stay long hours and whatnot.

But then...what is on the line? In CCF, I poured over that 1 Kings 18 study, in hopes to squeeze every detail I can out of those handful of words, so that people will understand. Isn't it the same here? There's alot on the line here as well...lol. I think my coworker put it very straightforward.

We'll handle the [database, computer, programming] implementations. That's not what doctors should have to worry about. They got more important stuff to deal with...like fixing brains. You don't see me fixing up brains, do you?

1 comment:

~*~VaNeSsA~*~ said...

bloggin lots eh :) good stuff!!!