Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Double-edge swords

I remember reading in the Bible that we should watch what we say, that our tongue is like a sharp sword. I suppose this is the closest I can find...

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.
- Prov 12.18

I think, I've always recognized that as a warning to not lie and make false accusations. Not to slander or practice deceit. It not that hard. So I've never kept words like that in mind. Words are just words. It's okay.

I still remember Lue and her driving habits. Of how she always prays before driving. Even if it was a short 5 minute drive. It's just driving. It's okay. I still remember this one time, we were driving up to Toronto in this bad snowstorm. We hit a skid, slide for a bit, and eventually stopped perpendicular to the road. Two seconds later, a truck roared passed us. Had we been forward by another two feet, we would've nailed. There was no way the truck would've stopped in time. It was crazy. It's not okay. But God was with us.

I sit and think about the implication of words. It's how conflicts start. World War I...a few countries made some alliances. Just words. Everyone joined the battle. Four years of fighting. Just words. I'm slowly realizing how my most potent weapons isn't my fist or textbook. It is my words. It colours situations. It shapes the mood. It heals. It sunders. It's not okay. Is God with us?

God granted Solomon wisdom so easily. James 1 promised me unlimited wisdom, should I ask. Where's the God in my life? In my words? In what I do? In where I go? Here I am again, praying, because I've screwed up once again. I though we were suppose to mend and defend...but how do I mend with the same weapon I use to defend?

Would it be best if we just didn't have anyone around us? No chance of getting hurt by saying the wrong things...or people coming and leaving, the disappointment of losing friends...or having shallow people, talking to you only for what you can do for them. God said it is not good for the man to be alone. Adam wasn't actually alone; God was around. If we are to rely on God, 100%...why did He make other humans? Why did He make Eve?

No comments: