Thursday, March 06, 2008

Health Symposium

So today was the 3rd annual Symposium on Health Technology, hosted by CUBE. It was pretty good. Once again, I find myself thinking about career stuffs (I suppose 3rd year university is a godo time to start thinking about life -_-). I was watching some professor from CalTech talk about his occular transplant (!) and all sorts of fancy MEMS devices that you stick in people...I was sitting at the ed...while at the back of my mind, checking off all the stuff that I suck at: Circuit theory, electromagnetism, semiconduction, thermodynamics. Oh man...

I think, we all want to do something worthwhile with our lives. No one really wants to wake up one morning and realize they're stuck at some deadend job, doing things no one really cares about. People needs to be driven with purpose. I chose to do BME cuz I wanted to do long term stuff (as oppose to physicians, who perform short-term fixings). Or as PT has brought up a few times already, the really long term stuff would be pastoral work. But I won't get into that.

Haaa. Everytime I get involved in things like this, I feel like a little kid in a toy store (uh...if the toy store was actually research-grade BME gadgets...XD). Well. I'll be doing research next term. We'll see how fun that goes over. Someone spent ~7 years to perfect a RF coil for MR operations. That's a long time, going at a piece of wire. But it's part of standard MR equipment now, at Sunnybrook. Is it worth it? Only the patients can tell.

No comments: