Saturday, December 20, 2008

Individual

So I was chatting with Amanda Tang the other day, and she shared with me how, because her and Joanna typically introduce themselves as twins, people have a higher tendency to confuse the two of them (even though they don't actually lookalike). The solution seemed obvious: introduce yourselves as individual people, not as twins. "But we naturally introduce ourselves as twins..."

We have a tendency to introduce ourselves in relation to other people. When people know who my brother is (because he's more popular than I am, haha), I'm "Jackson's brother." When it's to CCF people, I'm "Jorge's classmate." "Phil's hockey team." "Herman's committee." "Dr Dickerson's student." Sometimes it is the organizations we belong to that identifies us. UWCCF. NTCBC. UWOACF. CCAC. Something about having these associations connects us with other people faster. Provides us with a sense of belonging. Etc.

I think one very important point that we sometimes forget is that...we are not saved collectively. The offer of Salvation is an individual one; weither or not I'm saved has nothing to do with the state of my fellowship or church, that God is about personal relationships. So...while it's awesome that I'm part of many fellowships, membership in these fellowships will not, for a second, tell me anything about my Salvation.

If we're removed from all the social relationships we're associated with...all the clubs and fellowships. All the friends and family. What does that leave you? How are you defined? If we took away the 2nd year Biomed Sci student, how would the twin define herself? (Or...if you don't happen to have a twin, you can replace that with whatever people/organization you've got. Haha). Because to Him, we're not just a face in the sea of faces.

1 comment:

joanna =) said...

i see your point that ultimately, it's just us having a personal relationship with God =)
but still...i can't imagine me without amanda >.< but not sure what she thinks if it's the other way round though =P