Saturday, December 27, 2008

more engineering - a few more cents

Those of you who have heard me blab, you may have noted that I try to use a story (either one I've experienced myself, or something that someone has related to me) in order to show that I can relate, or to emphasize a point. For a listener...indeed, for anyone chatting in general, there's nothing quite as empathetic as a well shaped story. We watch movies, read novels, chat on the phone, in order to obtain a story. My high school mentor once told me that...no one has a boring testimony. I think, until you believe that for yourself (ie believe that you have worthwhile things to share), it would be rather difficult for you to apply that mentality to other people. After all...we are called to love each other as we love ourselves. Does that not suggest that we should learn to accept ourselves and know thyself? (okok, I'll stop with the cheesy quotes).

Anyways. I got the chance to chat with another electrical engineer about career decisions and what is to come. Being in Controls, he talked alot about theory vs application. About how this field only has a handful of theories I must know, and the rest is just applying it to a variety of different environments. Of how PIC programming and block diagrams are only so interesting, and how Controls engineers can branch out beyond PID controllers and learn about the plants (such as motors, for example) to become more well rounded. Of how Controls is all about staying on top of the current technology. Of how we must be willing to continously learn about the changing technology, in order to apply them. After all, controls is about integration.

He challenged me to think about the future. Am I willing to relocate? Do I want to go for management type positions? Do I want to travel? Stress on family? Stablity? Am I willing to work for someone younger than myself? Less qualified than myself? Can I handle project management? Do I want to deal with other engineers, or be management? I have no idea. I suppose I never though too much about career...but considering that it's something we'll be doing for a long time, it deserves more thought.

Its funny, how topics like this don't tend to come up on CCF circles. People typically like to talk about spiritual stuff. Or school things. Or relationship, boy/girl issues. Very here and now type of stuff. Not saying that's bad. But life isn't that compartmentalized.

Haha. There's something amusing about hearing PID controllers and other nerdy things from non-Waterloo people. I guess that officially makes me a nerd. =P Call it...professional interest. Haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya. while on the one hand beginning a few years ago there was talk of how CCFers generations are becoming more studious, i think we could do with more talk about career, ambitions, and "worldly" stuff. our impact on society. our roles of leadership in the world. not necessarily just spiritual, but simply as spirit-emboldened people.

awoieht said...

I agree with how CCFers don't seem to talk about careers or ambition too much. We should be discussing it a lot more considering that it's one of the most challenging times of our lives. It's an area that we need to sacrifice and lift up to God. It'd be interesting to start a dialogue to see what people have planned for after university.