Monday, May 22, 2006

Random - Empathy

What is tithing? According to the Bible, the people of Israel gave ten percent of what they received back to the priests. This offering became a token of appreciation, from the people to God, for all that is given. When I read that passage earlier this term, I remember thinking to myself, “Hey. 10%. No problem. Money’s just money. God will provide”... yet, when I sat there, staring at my first paycheck ever, those words were the last things on my mind...

I was at a computer store yesterday, with a few friends, checking out computer equipment. Someone needed a set of headphones. A better sound card. A bigger monitor. Me? I was checking out external HDs and DVD burners, which I never ended up getting. But anyways. While I was there, I ran into a co-worker (who lives in Waterloo, so that’s not too weird) and a team-mate from Midnight Sun. Kind of amused, that three our of the four (fourth of course, being studying) aspects of my Waterloo university life can be symbolized to be gathered there. Co-op, Midnight Sun, and CCF. We were all looking for something to supplement (or replace) our current systems. A good example of capitalism at work there.

This flow is always happening. Without it, our very economy will fail. I’m not going to talk about economics or corruption of money or how we shouldn’t have it. The fact that I have food in my fridge or a bed behind me right now is because of this economic exchange. As a student on a budget, we understand that we can’t sit back and criticize the system, especially when we’re part of the system... rather, I’m simply going to point out what I was trying to relate to above.

I think, we often have preconception about things (looking up tithing), before experiencing it (getting the paycheck) and realizing that reality is a little different than what we first expected (more concerned about computer upgrades and saving up money). I think it’s simply another case of thinking before speaking. Experience is a through (if not sometimes painful) teacher, which is what makes empathy such a powerful weapon. I think I’m starting to understand what Auntie Maureen was talking about...

No comments: