Saturday, June 30, 2007

Nehemiah

Once in a while, you just gotta sit back and take things in retrospect...or from someone else's point of view. It's surprising how different of a view I get sometimes if I even tried.

I dunno. Alot of thoughts. Not alot of words. Waiting for my rice to cook. Staring at my calc textbook, not really wanting to start. Lab books piled on a corner of my desk. Laundry that needs to be done. Skates that I wanted to clean. People to meet up with. Projects to plan.

Is it surprising that people get overwhelmed?

There really isn't much I can say right now that isn't just a reycled component of my previous thoughts. Sometimes we just gotta keep tanking along, cuz our pieces of the puzzles just isn't big enough for us to do anything else.

I just finished Nehemiah. And I was reflecting on all the times in the OT when people stated that the Lord will fight for us. Moses said it. David said it. I'm sure there's more. Nehemiah said it.

...I stood up and said to the nobles, the officals and the rest of the people, "Don't be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes."
- Nehemiah 4.14b

..."The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us."
- Nehemiah 4.19b-20

A mix of active dependence and self-action for Nehemiah's squad. A nice, healthy mix. We lose track of that sometimes.

I just pray that you would be able to meet with God today. Walk out as much as you can, as much as you normally do. Then look for God in everything. And pray that He'll meet you there. But He won't be in the great and powerful wind that shatters rocks. Nor in the earthquakes. Or a great fire. But in a gentle whisper.

Go call up someone you love and hold dear. Just tell them what they mean to you. You never know. Maybe at that very moment, there is nothing more that person needs than a few words of heartfelt encouragement and thankfulness, and a quiet gentle prayer to the Lord our God. Mixing depedence with action. Remember the Lord...and fight.

No comments: