Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Common allegiance

We'll fight them on the beaches.
- Sir Winston Churchill

You are your own worst enemy.
- [dunno who to attribute this one to. Psychology?]

I think, there are really only two types of people. Those who blame others, and those who blame themselves. Of those people who blame themselves, they could either do so and move on...or do so and stay there. I remember reading an interesting note when I was taking PSYCH101, in regards to depression (blah I left my notes in 'loo)...

It refers to depression (and loneliness, actually) as a cycle.
1. "Trigger" events
2. Leading to the person to dwell on it, typically negatively -> psychological impact
3. Impacts other aspects of life, such as intelligent decision making capabilities...most notable area: sleep -> physical impact
4. Causing fatigue and a tendency to view things negatively, increasing the impact of future "trigger" events

Hard to understand sometimes, since I could just fire up my video games or manga...or run to my ice cream and other comfort foods, and play/read/feed myself back to normal. But if I'm understanding this properly, depressed people arin't necessarily stupid people who kicks themselves down randomly. They have a typical way of seeing things. Their tendency to up-play bad events and down-play good events keeps them in this state. If no one challenges their points of views, how would they know any different? If they have not "tasted better fruit", how would they know that their ways could be better? So these people need outside intervention to get better...

I was laughing about this, because I was talking to people about fellowship. I've always thought fellowship was what SrRock have shown me. Something to do on Friday nights. Hang around. Play some games. See some people. Go home. When told about CCF, I said no. I had better things to do in 1A. I don't need this...fellowship...thing. Now if you asked me, CCF was probably one of the best things that happened to me in University. And now that I've seen the community...between having people making me congee every week when I kept on getting sick in 2A...to CCF SLC plaza runs during last summer term...to me randomly walking to Westcourt or crashing Our Weekly Rice at Jackal's place...this CCF community is truly something I've taken for granted here. 2 years ago, I wouldn't even have dreamed of such a thing. It probably took some Outside intervention.

Which brings me to an interesting point. Would a previously-depressed person be helpful to someone who is currently (in parallel with...would someone who had first thought fellowship was pointless be helpful in convincing someone that it is not?) I dunno. Currently the convincing hasn't been going all that well. Calgary C4C happens on Friday afternoons, so it would be a pinch to leave work, get to C4C, and still make it home in time to attend BASIC. We'll see about that...but...I need something on campus to send people. BASIC hasn't had the best reputations.

With this empathic viewpoint in mind, I suppose I can understand my own urgency to wanting to locate a campus fellowship I know is good. Or make BASIC like CCF. But Calgary isn't like Waterloo. So what I really should be asking for isn't the seeds of CCF in BASIC...but for Him to unleash His plan for the BASIC brand. I have a feeling I'm simply trying to stop the flood again, but at least this time, I know I have comrades.

Those random quotes at the top? I was trying to convince a friend who no longer attends church to come to come to fellowship/church. Fighting our own preassumptions about the state of things, just because it's easy to see and generalize. And if we don't challenge each other's thoughts and point of views, how would we know any better?

No comments: