Sunday, October 07, 2007

Encounters

A few isolated events stood out from the past few days. Things that I could've, should've done. Things that I hesitated. I think, I count alot on second chances. Many of these events reminds me of that time in London. Little things, little encounters. Things that was drawn to my attention, that I could've easily done. But...

1. A middle-aged man, sitting on the train, sleeping. We've reached Dalhousie Station (last stop on this line, where I get off), and I was walking on the platform, exiting the station. It's the last station. He must've of missed his stop...or maybe he's suppose to get off here...maybe I should get back onto the train to wake him before leaving... I kept on walking.

2. A girl was skating and fell hard on the ice. I was about 3 or 4 meters away, and getting closer. Ohh...looks like she hit the ice really hard. I should stop and see...a few other people rushed up to see how she was. I, as a first-aid certified person, skated on by. Prayed about this person for a while, but...

3. An older guy, wearing a large hoodie and a helmet, struggling to figure out how to skate backwards. I wasn't too much better myself, but as I watched his jerky motion, I thought...hmm. My method looks like his, but I can go a bit faster than he is. Maybe I should give him some pointers or encouragement...I skated on by, telling myself that I'll stop to talk to this guy on the next lap. When I encountered him again, he was just getting off the ice. Hmm...so much for that...

4. A really old looking guy, walking slowly towards a glass door, to the bank. I watched him slowly push through the door, and enter the bank...hmm...but did nothing. After he finished what he was doing, he started walking slowly back towards the door again. I held it open this time. Finally. One thing done right.

5. Some blond guy, looking at the CTrain charts, trying to figure out when the next train will show. You just missed the downtown-bound train. It'll be another 15 minutes. I said nothing.

And I'm sure I can think of a few more stories like this, that caught my eye and felt the urge to do something. To step up to the plate. To offer the things I so freely offer to members of my fellowship. Or church. Or whatever.

I've realized something. It is not the lack of opportunity, but the lack of courage to take up on these opportunities. It's not like that time with Joanna (of LCAC), when I did have a chance to get some background, to understand the situation, before saying hi to a quiet exchange student. Many of these things are indeed one shot deals. There are many opportunities. Many "should've"s. But somewhere between lack of courage...bystander effect...and maybe even a little bit of lazyness, I walk on by expressionless, just like everyone else.

1 comment:

~*~VaNeSsA~*~ said...

courage eh =) nice post