Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Distractions of a good thing

I was reading a friend's entry earlier today, and he referenced Screwtape Letters. That brought to mind a thought I had from a few days ago...

What if I had been wrong all this time...perhaps working to overcome spiritual stagmentations that has been achieved in my life in Calgary wasn't the goal after all. Maybe I'm suppose to advance other aspects. The possibility that I was just suppose to rest and I'm too stuck in Waterloo's "busy busy" mentality, has also been raised before (that it feels weird to do nothing "productive", and that a wasted day is one when you have nothing to show at the end of it).

Maybe I'm suppose to focus on my sciences. I'm doing my BIOL373 course...relatively okay. Slow, but steady, I guess. I've started to attend the UC equivalent of that course, which has been fairly good. I've been to the Health Sciences library a few times, and had some interesting reading. Maybe my tendency to not focus on christian stuff this term is a sign to me that I need to tend to other aspects? I mean...I like this biology stuff. I AM training to eventually become a biomedical engineer, after all...it only make sense that I put some time into these readings and learnings...

I gave that some thought. But how could that be right? That's basically like saying I'm not currently talking to a particular person = I don't care about that person. Would people think that? I would hope that among my friends, no one would make that assumption, especially if I haven't had the time to drop you a line or whatnot...

So similarly...just cuz God doesn't seem to be having a more outstanding presence in my living, it doesn't mean He doesn't want me to lose focus. This knowledge didn't seem to help me focus any more, but it is a loud warning and reminder of how too much focus on good but human thing thing...at the end, it's still just a good and human thing. The pseudo-truths and distractions are plenty, out there.

1 comment:

Claire 克萊兒 said...

I really think you are thinking a little bit overboard, Jon. Sometimes, I believe God just wants us to trust in Him and walk with Him just as it is now. Do everything you can to fulfill your role right now, and if God has other plans for you, He will let you know. Pray about it if you are unsure. Be rest assured, God has it all.