Friday, February 08, 2008

Thoughts of a little girl

I recall walking with this family friend of mine, who was telling me how she isn't doing all that well in school, and that she doesn't really feel the urge to try hard. When I asked why not...her reply was...that she's waiting for something. Something will happen and change something within her and she'll become a great student and everything will be all good.

Sounds great. Two notes, that I suddenly realized as I was walking home from CCF:

1. It pushes the responsibility of action off of yourself, since you can just blame this "unknown event" for all your complacency. I believe I've written about this before briefly. By shifting responsibility, it's no longer your fault. Thus, you are not obligated to make the first move.

2. It's putting hope in the wrong place. You're saying that it's too difficult to trust in God, because that requires faith, something that most of us don't just get overnight. So you have trust in something a bit less. Somehow, some reason, it's easier to not trust in the God of the universe, and instead, in some vague reasoning or event. That you'll suddenly gain motivation. That you'll suddenly find your passion. That suddenly someone will come along and fix all your problems. That you'll suddenly connect and all the pieces will fall in.

Your heart is in wrong place. "We must obey God rather than men!" (Acts 5.29)...nothing will just suddenly happen. Not until you pray to the Lord your God. Not until you learn to stop running away, and listen.

1 comment:

pi said...

you've changed the name of your blog...

your first point made me think of a mentality i used to have,
I used to hope (oddly) that maybe there was something wrong with me medically (something curable of course) but something that would be an excuse for my less than stellar marks, or shy-ness
and so I would have an excuse - rather than it just being about my own inabilities

thanks for posting.