Monday, February 04, 2008

Vision Theory

Figures. Just after complaining about having nothing to write, I stumble upon a few stray thoughts in the middle of midterm seasons. Oh well, here I go.

I suppose I've done quite a bit of "leadership" roles in CCF; NSR, Frosh Cell, Communications. Winter Retreat. Without fail, the first thing we must establish is...vision. What is the purpose of this program/role? What do you want to see out of it? How would you gauge "success"? What is humanly achievable? What is achievable only by God? Premise and context. Target audience. I complained about this during Winter Retreat planning, since I spent a bit more than 3 weeks to hammer out exactly what we're suppose to do. Three weeks. Just on vision.

Why is vision so important? As an engineer, when I'm given a project, you won't hear from me for the first 20% of the project. Why? Planning phase. You have to systematically lay out all the angles and design premise such that you can stuff to go back to during construction and troubleshooting. Knowing and understanding the scope. It saves alot of time, and gives concise direction.

Why am I writing this? Surely people know what "vision" means for events. The point of all this is...people need vision for themselves. If "vision" is some list of guideline to compare the decisions regarding my events, then perhaps a "personal vision" could be in the form of a list of priorities. Maybe this is obvious to some people, but I've had several people tell me they don't know what they're doing or where they're going. When I ask them what are things they hold in importance...they reply "I dunno..."...no wonder they don't know what they're doing.

Of course, you could say that you know what your priorities are. I remember one Men Cell exercise we had to do..."How do you know if that girl is what you're looking for?" ... well. Make a list. A list of the characteristics you are looking for. When you're busy being all emotional about some girl, you're not gonna be thinking very straight. Write it down. Make a list.

For myself, I guess my priorities are simply stated. A handful of words on a piece of paper, ordered in importance. Its something to be updated over time, but it's something to hold onto when I lose myself. I was once told..."don't do anything rash. You're emotional right now. [Engineering] made sense to you when you applied way back when. It still make sense now, you just don't see it because you're emotional."...questions that attacks who you are as a person isn't something that one can just rebound from. Things like this are helpful...to make you think about where you are and where you wanna go. What you care about and what you don't. Who you are and what you want to be.

No comments: