Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Sacrifice

The other day I ended up waking up at 10.30am. Didn't roll out of bed till 11am. Slept really late...watching Transformers XD. Did a bunch of things I shouldn't have done to myself, like eat alot of junk food. I had excuses, but that didn't seem to affect Him when the Spirit gave me a good rebukage. Two simple verses popped into my head.

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own.
- 1 Corinthians 6.19

Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!
- Matthew 25.21 (Parable of the Talent)

I understood instantly. My body is important, for it is God's. And if I can't be trusted with this thing that is "few", how can He trust me with things that are "many"? Like other people? Wife and kids. Brothers and sisters. If I can't take care of one temple...how can I take care of many?

I think, as a student, we're quick to downplay the importance of sleep (and health in general). It's probably the first thing that suffers when we're stressed for time. As a result, our body takes a hit. I can't really say too much as I'm a student myself...and late hours are typical in my books. I'm just as bad as the rest of them. But I guess it's something to think about...the things we sacrifice...what does it say abour our priorities? Our values? And if we can sacrifice these in our own time...what are our expectations for other people? Do we expect them to sacrifice the same things?

And what about the message we're handing down to the people that's coming after us? That health is unimportant? That family is unimportant? That school is unimportant? That fellowship is unimportant?

That God is unimportant? What are we saying here? Our action speaks much louder than words...

No comments: