Sunday, January 14, 2007

Little things?

What does it take to be a healer? Some sit in the offices all day, taking patients at they come. Some blaze around the city in ambulances, hoping to reach the victims in time. Others still, run onto the battlefield, with bombshells exploding to the left and the right, trying to reach their comrades before the other side does. Not one is deserving of more honour than another. All three are in need...

My mind brings me back to this one thing that happened a little earlier...I attended LCAC today, and it was pretty cool. I got introduced to a whole bunch of people, and I found out that some have connections to Waterloo as well. I found Derak Yau's cousins. I found someone who knows Auntie. Some other people who have frosh friends and whatnot in Waterloo. A guy from Lethbridge (yay Alberta...)

You know that saying, "it takes one to know one?" Empathy is a very powerful tool. On the bus, as we were leaving, I was looking around the bus...my eyes kept on drawing me to this one girl, she was sitting diagonal from me. Just giving off this...sense of loneiness? No one was sitting or talking with her thoughout the ride, and I felt the need to just slide over and introduce myself to her. Say hi and have her know that someone has noticed.

But I didn't. I just sat in my seat, hoping that someone else will do the task that is playing out in my mind. Hoping that this cup will be taken from me. But no one else rose up. And I still just sat there. Why didn't I do anything? Maybe it was cuz I was new (VERY bad excuse). Maybe cuz I was a guy (not as bad, but still...). Maybe cuz I was afraid (being pushed out of comfort zone, type of thing?). There's a title for this. "Chicken Wuss" (ahh...good ol' Final Fantasy VIII).

As I sat down and thought about after getting off the bus, a few words rang through my mind: "If you see a need for change, just go do it, because nothing else would be done" (paraphrased from Elaine)...we're not even talking about non-churched people...this person here is part of LCAC...sigh...sometimes I wish I had more initive...or wasn't so selfish...

I constantly say I'll do better next time. Will I really? It's okay. What I need isn't someone to kick me in the pants (I do that fine on my own)...what I need is a failsafe way to tranlate that kick in the pants into action. Sometimes all one can do is pray. But sometimes it doesn't take a Pillar of Fire from Above to say hi.

No comments: