Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Snippets from a letter

In UWO's ACF, I have been witnessing the possible results of a small group focused fellowship. This is not saying that ACF does it perfectly. I do notice a few flaws and failing points, but in theory, a higher focus on small groups significantly reduces the percieved size of the fellowship, making it easier to know one another. How has this been in practice? The results are debatable. ACF can only faciliate so much. Much of the effort still rests on the shoulders of its members. But the first task is to defeat ignorance.

I have personal reasons to suggest such things. I've always thought unity was an important goal. No house can stand when divided against itself. However, if a house does not stand together, it is still weak. Recently, I have been talking to random CCF upperyears. I was surprised to hear that they're not recieving the support they need...although academics has pretty much been bogging everyone down, how much effort does it take to really ask someone what's going on? Perhaps due to my WKTRM status, I could afford to fire 4 hours into MSN and just chat about things. But it doesn't really have to be 4 hrs long. I have a friend, with whom I can gather her current state of mind and the struggles she's undergoing, within 10 minutes. Did that "effentcy" take away from the quality of my friendship with this person last term? I do not believe so. Within the limitations of academic strain, it was the best I could.

Perhaps I'm being overly idealistic, in dreaming of a fellowship where everyone can just talk to everyone else. I myself is not capable of doing so, thus I cannot expect this of everyone else. I'm not saying we should share all of our deepest and darkest secrets. I'm saying that we should move further away from the "hey-hey-whatsup-nm u?-nm" routine. It is simply not possible for a handful of people to reach out to the entire fellowship. But if each person only has to tend to two or three people...if I only look to my brothers and sisters around me...and they do the same...

No comments: