Wednesday, May 30, 2007

1 Chronicles

So I was reading through 1 Chronicles today. The first three chapter isn't exactly the most engaging of passages. Massively list of names. Got to the point where I can't identify who was who and amused myself by attempting to pronounce the Kings of Judah. Suddenly, random, there's this passage in the middle of the list of names...

Jabez. Who is this Jabez?! I doubled back...no idea where he came from.

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request. - 1 Chronicles 4.9-10

This kind of reminds me of that random random chunk in Genesis as well. Enoch.

When Enoch had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah. And after he became the father of Methuselah, Enoch walked with God 300 years and had other sons and daughters. Altogether, Enoch lived 365 years. Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away. - Genesis 5.20-24

Anyways...

Hum. Other parts of First Chronicles are pretty random too...a random spurt of "mighty warriors!" (Ch 5). Hey, Joshua is a Ephraim...Joseph's house (1 Chron 7.27b)...okok enough commentaries...

No comments: