Sunday, May 13, 2007

Creating Chances

Strangely, one of the things I took with me from ACF is random shouting. I think it's a Summit thing. There seems to be a dude in every house. House 4 is Simon. House 16...well. Pretty much the whole house (though DLo was the first to come to mind). House 52...not there often enough to know (Eldon is pretty much the only person I know there). And now one guy in Waterloo West.

For a while, since I got back, I would search for oppotunties to utilize Summit's number one phrase: TOO EASY! Not a common thing to do when you get tripped up almost immedately with tons of work. And I suppose I did head into this term fairly offguard. I find myself jumping blog to blog, of random ACF peoples today (don't know too much CCFers that blog regularly...). Reading their recent happenings in the month of May. The lessons learned. Laughing at people I'm familiar with. Nodding at the insight. Smiling when people reflect, because I can reflect on the same events too.

But back to the shouting thing. I think, sometimes I get really impatient. "Let me go and pwn some situation good," I'd think. But I just managed to catch myself...how can I explain this...

In high school, I was among the people who choose to take all three sciences. Just keepin my options open. Popular thought among many of the more academic types (read: IB nerds). Yet I've realized...as much as I want to think I'm the one keeping my doors open, it's not really me. It's Him.

I didn't even consider Waterloo when I first applied to university. UAlberta was actually my first choice. How could I have opened a door that I didn't know existed? I knew about CCF for a long time in 1A, but set in my mind that I would not attend fellowship. That I didn't need this whole God business. How would I have known to step through the doors of CCF if I walked in MC that time if I had that mentality? I said, okay, I'll lay down low and just power through school. Get my degree and I'm outta here. I've give this CCF thing a shot, but all You're gettin from me is my Friday nights. How would I have known to keep any doors open with that attitude?

You can't open a door that you didn't know exists. But you can still walk through it. That's cuz He opened it already, even if you didn't.

But ah. The Ultimate Gift, Christ on the cross. It is understood that Christianity is a choice. People can "explore" religion to find what sounds good. Sure, it's a choice. But the Dude that opened the door still isn't you. It's all Him. It's all choices. But the degrees of freedom were never in your hands...I'll stop here, since I really don't know enough about Free will vs predestination to start a thing. lol

All the doors I thought to keep open...keeping an interest in Biology ended up leading me to look into Biomedical Engineering. Which eventually led me to London's ACF, where I gain friends and blog addresses. Which, by reading them, helped me reach the conclusions I've just described.

Could I have thought of that back in gr 11, when I bubbled in BIO30 into my course preference sheet? Not a chance. God opens doors. God MAKES doors. Sometimes we're led through them. Sometimes it's just there, waiting for us. Sometimes we're even pushed. Ha... but be assured. For it would be God's doors that we're facing.

Totally random sidenote. You really want to know how beast (ah. A nice CCF word. lol) God is? Go flip open a Human Physiology textbook. Over 8 hours of reading and I'm nowhere near done a single topic. Hows that for God's ownageness? For me, it's takin a while to learn all this bio, and if it wasn't for my ACF friends explaining to me synapses and whatnot, I'd gotten owned on my BIOL273DE assignment 1... But for God, it was His masterpiece. Easy.

God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. - Genesis 1.31a

No comments: