Thursday, January 25, 2007

Random Observations of ACF

- One of the most evident influences I see on ACF is their councler. Pam and Roger are two UK (Wales, actually) people...I was initially surprised to see Caucasian people...I mean, look at CCF and KWCAC (well. KWCAC is bad example. Chris is there)! It's one thing to have non-asian students...but a totally different thing to be dedicated to an Asian fellowship...but there they are. I've come to respect Roger's depth of knowledge. From the way I understand, he doesn't try to take charge of the fellowship, but steps in occasitionally to provide words of wisdom and to rebuke where he sees the need...incidently, I heard of a time where the Exec board of ACF composed of 4 girls (understaffed, no guys), which angered Roger greatly (who really supports the "men are spiritual leaders" notion)...apparently he gathered them all into a room and pwned them all so hard...needlessly, Roger's words must've worked, since there's always been a male ACF president after that. Their Sunday Evening gatherings, affectionately named P&R, is a interesting experience, which I don't think I can describe properly. All I can say is that having this permanent stability has influenced ACF greatly; one thing CCF lacks.

- There is a large number (close to...8ish?) of relationships going on. When I asked about this (compared to CCF's...like...2), I was told no one really knows either. Maybe it's cuz the members arin't interrogated? Such concepts were foreign to them. Sigh...interrogation (suddenly remembers the "Manel")...perhaps the "openness" of CCF's system (which I actually don't disagree with. CCF only really has a major role on the start...the rest of relationship is decided by the two people) is a deterent for CCF? Supposely it seems like mass amounts of 2nd years just decided going-out is a good idea. What can I say? As long as no one is picking up froshes... -_-

- UWO's two term system means ACF is only active in Fall and Winter. Its lack of co-op-ness meant they didn't need to do introductions and start-ups again at the beginning of each term, that things carried over easily from the pervious term. It'd be interesting to observe something like that in CCF...like...have a team that's dedicated to handling new-comers ... or something...

- There is a higher involvement from ACF in LCAC (not sure about the other churches...there's no so much localization like in KWCAC/CFC, probably because they have more choices in London?)...I was surprised to hear that many people are involved in HYPE (LCAC's high school fellowship)...

- UWO and surroundings are built in a way that the closest (south-end anyway) residential place is at least a 10 minute walk...it pushes the need to bus (my bus stop is often loaded at 8am...too much people, not enough bus space!) to a higher extent, so movement around London (since bus passes are included in tution) is aided in the fact that there's a more extensive bus system...

- In addition to cell groups, they have small group time outside of friday nights. Another level of interaction and relationship building I guess. I dunno...it seems like UWO ppl have more time on their hands...but taking a look at the programs people are in...Medical Sciences, Nursing, Ivey Business, Music...all of these are either difficult, or time consuming. Where are they finding the time to participate in all this?!

That is, I've seen some ACF's flaws as well. Like CCF, they have some issues on complacency...actually, I don't think it's as bad as CCF, but then...the people-set I have come to know are small group leaders and people dedicated to the cell groups. Not enough sample size.

I suppose, up till Retreat, I've expected ACF to be just like CCF. In some ways, I see that...if you take away the people's different background and experiences...they're similar on several levels. That Chinese Christian atmosphere is still there. The give and take air I've grown accustomed to, although a little weird to see it outside of CCF, can be found here as well. People still regularly get sick coming out of Retreat, and there's (5 times a week!) prayer meetings going on.

You know what'd be cool to see? Summit in Waterloo. Summit is a cluster of townhouses (kind of like WCRI, I guess. Maybe a little better, what from I've seen so far. lol)...there's a high concentration of ACF people there. So I wonder what life would be like if we took over one of the Westmount houses...took over a Keat's way block...WCRI... *shrug*

From ACF, I'm starting to think...who's picking up the torch? Many of the leaders here are moving on. It feels like my own first year actually, in some ways. Who's picking up the torch? I guess it's not as bad because they have P&R here. But still. I wonder...

Sometimes it's a bit weird, because I don't necessary know the people I've talking to...or have that year of experience when I'm with the other second years. But I'm being encouraged by what I see. I'm being challenged by the people. The bar I found here is higher. And I'm trying to raise to it. It's been a interesting term so far. And I know it'll still be so when I look back in April.

CCF. I dunno if I'd be able to learn enough to bring back to you. But if the bar is this much higher in a sister fellowship...what are you doing about it? Perhaps...the better question should be...what will I do about it, when I step back onto the campus of Waterloo?

BTW, Switchfoot is touring around Canada. Check their site if you're interested to see if they're going to your town. London on March 1~~

No comments: