Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Community

After meeting with some people, planned and unplanned, I found myself walking by Deli last night. Maybe cuz I was walking with Shelby and she happens to live in that direction. *shrugs* But I did want to find Yun-Ping, so I was like, oh well. PDEng can wait (little do I know, they changed the assignment, but I'll refrain from complaining about PDEng today). So I dropped in on him, and we chatted for a bit.

I think, there's a few things I've learned from last night and from YP and people like Kota in general. I guess, being exposed to the more spiritual side of Christianity is a bit interesting. Haven't seen (or heard, I guess) people speak in tongues or put so much emphasis on the other spiritual gifts until here. I dunno. I used to think YP to be really weird. P&R to be a bit much to handle. Yet there I was, randomly dropping in on him. Wouldn't think of missing P&R. lol.

One of the amusing points during our chat was when Janine dropped in on us. She asked me about getting a Coffeehouse email (which I didn't get, but it was just some thank-you letter, so I said I didn't bake cuz I wanted credit) while getting YP to sign something. Then YP was joking about how I can receive a kiss instead, which I also turned down (lol). So YP was like, okay, you can kiss me instead. Janine laughed and made this barfing motion. I found it all a bit amusing, the interaction between this fourth year and a frosh, but it's what Yun-Ping said after that stuck out: "She is such a blessing" (in reference to her barfing motions). I started laughing, but then...it's true isn't it?

I mean, we've all had times when we're just with old friends...when we can say stupid stupid things and do silly stuff...make mistakes and just be crazy in general...and it's okay. We'd make fun of each other's little quarks, but it's all good. Just sitting around...doing really, nothing in particular. But you can only pull it off with good friends. With people you're comfortable with. You can't be barfing on random strangers, eh?Hmm...another example in recent memory?

It was like, 4am in the morning. Myself, Shirley Yip, Priscilla, Loanne and Justine were working on the Grad Banquet Video...when suddenly this totally random came up on Loanne's laptop. It was "Peanut butter and Jelly"...probably among the more random songs I've heard in recent past. But the funny thing is, Lo and Pris jumped up and started dancing to it...apparently it was from TC. So they were doing random dancing when they realized that UCC actually isn't deserted. There's this guy on second floor who could see them dancing...apparently he's got this "what the..." expression...but after Pris realized the guy was there, she stopped and collapsed laughing. The point of this story being, these people were comfortable enough in our presence to do a random dance, but wasn't when the scope increased. I probably wouldn't be saying random Summit sayings (TOO EASY!) if I wasn't around them either. haaa...

Community truly is a blessing. I think I wrote about this before, but a whiles back, at Men Cell, Jliu was asking us ten things that brings us joy. One of my top ten was definately...just playing video games and screaming stupidity at family friends. Making fun of them just cuz I could. Argue about things that really didn't matter, then laugh it all away. It's all so good. It's all so good. Community truly is a blessing.

Except...community doesn't usually just fall into our laps. We gotta work towards it. Build each other up. Eat together. Study together. Be open and willing to help each other. Exhortation. Etcetcetc I'm sure everyone knows all this. Initive. Patience. A gentle smile and an open ear.

Oh alright. I'll continue with the exhortation campign...Settlers will have to wait till I'm back in Waterloo...gotta watch out for the graduates who are leaving...and push along the froshes who are coming in. And of course, everyone else in between. Cools.

No comments: