Friday, April 06, 2007

Loving God?

The LORD commanded us to obey all these decrees and to feat the LORD our God, so that we might always prosper and be kept alive, as is the case today. And if we are careful to obey all this law before the LORD our God, as he has commanded us, that will be our righteousness. - Deuteronomy 6.24-25

One question that has been on my mind for a while now is...how do I know that I love God? I suppose, originally, I got sucked into the society's visual definitions. Where love is expressed by hugs and kisses. But several people have pointed out something that I have missed...

To the extent of my understanding of the word, I don't hug the people I feel close to or the people I like. But what are other things? Perhaps...listening to them? Walking with them? Helping them with their tasks? Supporting them in their battles? Tending to their needs? Carrying out their will?

And so, I understand it a little better now. God outlined ten Commandments. I find it hard to believe that was all it takes...but really...isn't the words outlined in Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy, arint those God's desires for His people? Once you strip away all the stuff made obsolete by Christ's cross, what are we left? Outlines on what to do about God (first 4 Commands). How to treat your neighbours and family. What to do if you ever end up stealing a sheep...or ox...or goat...

So carry out His will, outlined in the Word. Which includes communication (call to prayer and to read the Word), walking (I suppose worship and prayer comes here too), battles and will (Serving, I guess)...

Alright. Don't 'feel' love though? *shrugs*. If one has never been there, how would you know? Oh well...enough will be revealed in time. Till then, just keep walkin on in righteousness.

1 comment:

pi said...

hmmmm

"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments." - John 14:15 (NASB)

which.. if you think about it - are many and few. I do think it comes down to love. Living a life directed by the love of Christ in us.
and I'm glad you're thinking outside of earthly lines of what love is ^_^

about feeling love.. I guess it's tough - I don't always 'feel' love, and I'm still waiting for God to break my heart and stuff - but that's one of the nice things, that we can pray for God's love to be made known in our hearts - and to feel His love... ^_^.v. Keep on hard after Him brother.